Monday, December 12, 2011

Today is National Ding-a-Ling Day

National Ding-a-Ling Day is celebrated on December 12th of each year. It appears to be linked to the 1972 hit record for Chuck Berry, “My Ding-a-Ling”.

The song tells of how the singer received two silver bells on a string from his grandmother, who calls them his ding-a-ling. According to the song, he plays with it in school, and holds on to it in dangerous situations like falling after climbing the garden wall, and swimming across a creek infested with snapping turtles. In the final verse, Berry admonishes “those of you who will not sing” and concludes that they “must be playing with [their] own ding-a-ling”.
The lyrics with their sly tone and innuendo (and the enthusiasm of Berry and the audience) caused many radio stations to refuse to play it, and British morality campaigner Mary Whitehouse tried unsuccessfully to get the song banned. Moreover, pop critics generally dislike the song (especially the fact that it was Berry’s sole #1 single in his career) and say that it is unworthy for someone who was so important in early rock ‘n’ roll (Alan Freeman once introduced the song by saying “oh Chuck baby, how could you!?!”). Nevertheless, Berry still likes it and on the recording calls it “our Alma Mater”.

The censorship of this song has continued decades later. In one case, for a re-run of American Top 40, some stations, such as WOGL in Philadelphia, replaced this song with an optional extra when it aired a rerun of a November 18, 1972 broadcast of AT40 (where it ranked at #14) on December 6, 2008. Among other stations, most Clear Channel-owned radio stations to whom the AT40 ’70s rebroadcasts were contracted did not air the rebroadcast that same weekend, although it was because they were playing Christmas music and not because of the controversy. Even back in 1972, some stations would refuse to play this song on AT40, even when it reached number one.

"My Ding-a-Ling" lyrics:

When I was a little biddy boy 
My grandmother bought me a cute little toy 
Silver bells hanging on a string 
She told me it was my ding-a-ling-a-ling

My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling 
My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling

Then mama took me to Sunday school 
They tried to teach me the Golden Rule 
But when the choir would stand and sing 
I'd sit there and play with my Ding-a-ling-a-ling 

My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling 
My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling

Then mama took me to Grammar school 
But I stopped off in the Besta Beau 
Every time that bell would ring 
 Catch me playing with my ding-a-ling

My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling 
My Ding-A-Ling My Ding-A-Ling I want you to play with My Ding-A-Ling

Once I was climbing the garden wall, 
I slipped and had a terrible fall 
I fell so hard I heard birds ring, 
But held on to My ding-a-ling
 
Once I was swimming cross turtle creek 
those snapping turtles were snapping at my feet 
Sure was hard swimming cross that thing 
with both hands holding my ding-a-ling
 
This here song it ain't so sad 
The cutest little song you ever had 
Those of you who will not sing 
You must be playing with your own Ding-a-ling


Source: Wikipedia, nationalwhateverday.com, MetroLyrics.com
Photo credit: chuckberry.com; restorationhardware.com; hangout.altsounds.com


No comments:

Post a Comment